Sea Watch, Sunday December 6, 2009

Today was the first day that the initial temperature at the beginning of the count was below 30 degrees; lets hope winter is here to stay so those dabbling ducks get a clue and migrate.

I had a good movement of Red-throated Loons today, and I also had an unexpected movement of several hundred cormorants. Two birds of note I had was a Harlequin Duck and a Lesser Black-backed Gull. But what made my day was hearing a Common Loon call, not from the water, but in flight behind me and having it fly directly over; I've never had heard a loon call in flight so it was one of those special moments of wonder.

Here is the break down of the day's count:

Canada Goose 24
Brant 59
American Black Duck 22
Green -winged Teal 24
Greater Scaup 1
Scaup Sp. 13
Common Eider 27
Surf Scoter 321
White-winged Scoter 7
Black Scoter 573
Long-tailed Duck 23
Buffelhead 7
Red-breasted Merganser 18
Red-throated Loon 2195
Common Loon 19
Northern Gannet 40
Double-crested Cormorant 403
Bonaparte's Gull 3
Ring-billed Gull 454
Herring Gull 221
Great Black-backed Gull 20

No comments:

Post a Comment